Home About Me My Classroom My TpT Products Freebies Facebook Instagram TeachersPayTeachers Pinterest Image Map

Saturday, September 20, 2014

First Project of the Year - Literary Term T-Shirt


All 7th grade students at my school made a literary term/figurative language t-shirt for our first project.

This is how it works:

The students have to choose a figurative language or literary term and make a shirt. We had them buy a solid colored t-shirt. The t-shirt is required to have the term, definition, written example (in a sentence), and a picture. Anything extra is fine, but it must include those four components. We count it as a test/project grade and it is worth 100 points.

Components (word, definition, example, picture) - 50 points
Creativity - 10 points
Neatness - 10 points
Wear Your Work - 15 points (the day it's due they have to wear it to school)
Strut Your Stuff - 15 points (All of the 7th graders go to the auditorium and walk across the stage with their shirt on. There's music playing and the kids make it fun...it's like a fashion show.

We give them one day in class to start designing their shirt on paper and then after that it is an at home project.

Check out some of ours below:

This is an up-close shot of my shirt. My kids got a kick out of my example sentence.


Here are a few examples from my 2nd period class.


This is one of my students from 4th period. Can you guess which word he chose?! Yep, onomatopoeia! For some reason onomatopoeia is everyones favorite type of figurative language! I've known this kid since he was 7 years old in 2nd grade and rode the school bus route I drove when I was in college! Now I have the pleasure of teaching him in 7th grade! How many people can say their former bus driver is now their teach?! Not many!


I hope I've explained it enough. Please let me know if you have any questions! :)

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I adore this project and so much of your blog. You can tell what an inspiring teacher you are! I'm definitely going to try this project idea out with my 8th graders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're designing a sexy t shirt, choose a font that has a sexy feel to it. And if you're designing a t shirt for a serious, professional law firm, you probably don't want to use that font with letters shaped like kittens. Branded t shirts

    ReplyDelete